A main component of the South Delta Jazz Festival is our Student Jazz Workshop.
Student Workshop 2020 – July 7 – 11, 2020
Registration for the Student Workshop – Opens March 1st, 2020.
Just scroll down until you can see the table below. Then click on the Register link (when it appears in the Register column on March 1st 2020).
Forms of Payment
We accept: Cash, cheques, bank e-transfers and now credit cards (Visa & Mastercard).
Cash and cheque payments must be submitted to the music school office.
Please make all cheques payable to: Delta Community Music School or DCMS.
In order to pay by bank e-transfer, send an email requesting instructions to the music school office at: office@DCMS.ca or call us at: 604.946.1280.
For credit card payments, enter your credit card information onto the Registration form that is displayed when you click on the Register link in the table below.
If you have already registered with us, you can update your account with your credit card details by accessing the Parent Portal here.
Your credit card will be charged 1-2 days after you have registered. All of your information is transmitted encrypted and is kept strictly confidential.
Download Jazz Workshop Brochure
Our week-long program is designed to give musicians the opportunity to explore and deepen their knowledge of jazz improvisation in the context of ensemble performance. The Workshop is held at Delta Community Music School in Ladner. BC.
Vocalists and instrumentalists are both welcome!
- Open to students 12 years and older as well as adults, the Workshop provides an opportunity for musicians to focus on becoming better jazz players and performers.
- Students will be placed in ensembles according to their ability and experience, and the majority of their time will be spent playing together and learning jazz repertoire and improvisation. Classes in jazz history and theory will also be offered.
- Daily concerts and master classes with esteemed guest artists inspire, excite, and motivate. Workshop faculty is comprised of professional musicians both local and international, who are also experienced and skilled educators.
- Students will have the opportunity to perform at an outdoor concert on the final day, as well as an evening jam session at a local café.
Students will be placed in classes and an ensemble according to their ability and experience. Students will spend most of their time playing music in small groups and learning jazz repertoire and improvisation. Classes in jazz history and theory will also be available. Daily concerts and master classes with great guest artists will inspire, excite, and motivate. Workshop faculty are professional musicians from the Vancouver region and abroad who love teaching and are experienced educators. The students will have an opportunity to perform at a final outdoor concert and at an evening jam session in a local café. On the final day of the workshop, there will be a concert featuring the students.
Typical Daily Schedule:
|9:30 am||Theory / Aural skills classes|
|10:15 am||Coached Ensemble Rehearsal|
|12-noon||Faculty and Guest Artist Concert|
|1:30 pm||Master classes and/or ensembles|
|2:30 pm||Coached Ensemble Rehearsal|
What our students say about our festival and workshop:
- “ The DCMS Jazz Workshop is a valuable learning experience for student musicians of any age. The opportunity to perform and study with the outstanding musicians and music educators on the faculty is not to be missed. It is a setting allowing each student to make new friends and perform new music in new contexts. The best part is that it is FUN!”
“As an adult student, I found the South Delta Jazz Workshop and Festival to be an immersive and very rewarding experience. I gained valuable in depth knowledge and understanding of the jazz idiom, while honing my skills by playing a wide range of repertoire with other musicians, in a supportive and invigorating environment.”
- “another great year! keep them coming… “
Tuition Fees and Scholarships
Registration is payable at the Delta Community Music School office. Please register early to assure placement as enrollment is limited. Scholarship and Bursaries are available on both merit and need basis. Students interested in scholarship support should apply as soon as possible.
Scholarship funds are limited and disbursements will not be made until later in the summer. Students must be registered in and have paid full tuition in order to be considered for scholarship programs. To apply for a scholarship, please contact the school and indicate your interest in receiving financial support and indicate the reasons why you should be considered.