Greetings Jazz Workshop Participants,
This is important information. Please read all of it!
I hope you are all looking forward to the South Delta Jazz Workshop as much as we are! We have a great week of music, learning, and fun planned for everyone.
The workshop begins Tuesday, July 5 at 9:30 am. We will meet at Delta Community Music School, 4705 Arthur Drive, in Ladner. The parking lot is across the street.
- Please do not be late as we will have a lot to do on the first day!
- Bring a cheque for any outstanding enrollment fees
- If you have a drum set or other bulky gear to unload, please come a little earlier at 9:00am
- Parents, please plan to stick around for the first 15 minutes or so.
As usual we have a wide range of students from beginner players through to very advanced semi-pro players. Students will be divided into ensembles to work with on the first day. Placements may change as we get to know your abilities, needs, and personalities. Please be patient with us as we try to create a situation that will be best for you. Our full-time faculty members will rotate among the groups on a daily basis. We expect a high level of courtesy and respect among all participants in the Workshop.
Please bring everything you will need for making music: extra reeds, valve oil, patch cables, picks, strings, staff paper, pencils and eraser. Drummers, bass players, and guitarists are requested to bring their own amplifiers and drum kits. This equipment can be left at the workshop for the duration. The Music School is locked and has an alarm. If you don’t have an amplifier or drum kit please contact us immediately so we can help arrange to get one for you. We will have music stands available. Make sure all of your gear is labelled clearly so it doesn’t get lost.
All students should bring a lunch and a snack or two. There is very limited time for students to purchase a lunch from the mall as lunch time is also concert time with our guest artists and faculty and all students are required to attend the these concerts. Food is important for an event of this kind. We strongly suggest that you bring something healthy that will provide you with the energy you will need for a very full day of music making.
PLEASE NOTE – we have some students with severe nut allergies this year. In consideration of their health and well being, we ask that you please do not bring foods which contain nuts.
Daily Schedule of Events:
- 9:30 – 10:20 Aural Skills classes
- 10:20 -10:30 Break
- 10:30 – 11:30 Improvisation Class/Ensemble Rehearsals
- 11:30 – 12:00 Lunch and noon concert set-up time
- 12:00 – 1:15 Noon Concert (you can keep eating while you listen!)
- 1:15 – 2:45 Ensemble rehearsal and/or masterclasses with guest artists
- 2:45 – 3:00 Break
- 3:00 – 4:30 Ensemble rehearsal
Other IMPORTANT Events
- Wednesday July 6 Advanced Student Concert at Diefenbaker Park 6:30-9:00pm Some of our advanced students will be performing at Diefenbaker Park in Tsawwassen. Bring some food and a lawn chair and enjoy a summer evening with great music
- Thursday July 7 from 7-9pm Jam Session at Petra’s Arts Kafe This is open to workshop participants and to anyone in the community who plays jazz. This is a really fun part of the workshop. If you don’t know what a jam session is or how it works, DON”T WORRY the workshop will prepare you for it!
- Friday July 8 Faculty Octet concert 7:30pm. All Saints Anglican Church. Tickets $10 Students receive free admission to this event and are expected to attend as part of the learning process. The evening concert is an important and required part of the program for workshop participants. We could use some help selling tickets to this concerts. We can give you one free ticket for every three that you sell. Tickets are only $10.
- Saturday July 9 Final Student Concert 12:00-3:00pm at Delta Hospital Grounds. Parents, spouses, family and friends are all welcome to this concert or any of the noon hour shows. Admission to noon shows and final student concert is FREE. Rehearsals on Saturday will run at the Community Centre as usual from 9:30-11 and then we will be heading over to the hospital grounds for our final performance. We will need help transporting students between the Community Centre and Delta Hospital, so if you can help us drive on that day please let us know.
If you have received scholarship funding to attend the camp you will be notified before the start of the workshop. You will be asked to write a letter thanking our various sponsors. We will provide the mailing address and other information for this letter. Please do not discuss scholarship funding with other students.
We’ll be taking photographs of workshop activities throughout the week. The photos will help us promote the workshop in coming years and help us get funding from sponsors and government organizations. If you do not want pictures of yourself or your child used in this way, please let us know. If you take some photos yourself, we’d love to have digital copies for our website or facebook page
Please contact Jared Burrows if you have any questions at ph. 604-294-3714
We look forward to working with all of you!
Jared Burrows and Stephen Robb,
Directors, South Delta Jazz Workshop