A main component of the festival is our Student Jazz Workshop.
Student Workshop 2019 – July 2 – 6th, 2019
Registration Opens February 18th, 2019
Early Bird registration deadline is May 27, 2019
Please make all payments to Delta Community Music School. Either Cash or cheque is accepted.
All payments must be submitted to the music school office.
This workshop is:
- a one-week program designed to give musicians the opportunity to explore and deepen their knowledge of jazz improvisation and performance.
- An opportunity that allows musicians to focus on becoming better jazz players and performers.
- an exciting opportunity for music students to learn about jazz and improvisation from great musicians.
- Open to people 12 years and older (Adults are welcome!!)
- All instruments (including voice) are welcome!
Students will be placed in classes and an ensemble according to their ability and experience. Students will spend most of their time playing music in small groups and learning jazz repertoire and improvisation. Classes in jazz history and theory will also be available. Daily concerts and master classes with great guest artists will inspire, excite, and motivate. Workshop faculty are professional musicians from the Vancouver region and abroad who love teaching and are experienced educators. The students will have an opportunity to perform at a final outdoor concert and at an evening jam session in a local café. On the final day of the workshop, there will be a concert featuring the students.
Typical Daily Schedule:
|9:30 am||Theory / Aural skills classes|
|10:15 am||Coached Ensemble Rehearsal|
|12-noon||Faculty and Guest Artist Concert|
|1:30 pm||Master classes and/or ensembles|
|2:30 pm||Coached Ensemble Rehearsal|
What our students say about our festival and workshop:
- “ The DCMS Jazz Workshop is a valuable learning experience for student musicians of any age. The opportunity to perform and study with the outstanding musicians and music educators on the faculty is not to be missed. It is a setting allowing each student to make new friends and perform new music in new contexts. The best part is that it is FUN!”
- “another great year! keep them coming… “
Tuition Fees and Scholarships
Registration is payable at the Delta Community Music School office. Please register early to assure placement as enrollment is limited. Scholarship and Bursaries are available on both merit and need basis. Students interested in scholarship support should apply as soon as possible.
Scholarship funds are limited and disbursements will not be made until later in the summer. Students must be registered in and have paid full tuition in order to be considered for scholarship programs. To apply for a scholarship, please contact the school and indicate your interest in receiving financial support and indicate reasons why you should be considered.