Greetings 2019 Jazz Workshop Participants,
This is important information. Please read all of it!
I hope you are all looking forward to the South Delta Jazz Workshop as much as we are! We have a great week of music, learning, and fun planned for everyone.
The workshop begins Tuesday, July 2nd at 9:30 am. We will meet at Delta Community Music School, 4705 Arthur Drive, in Ladner. There is a parking lot is across the street next to the lawn bowling green.
- Please do not be late as we will have a lot to do on the first day!
- Bring payment for any outstanding enrollment fees
- If you have a drum set or other bulky gear to unload, please come a little earlier at 9:00am
- Parents of younger students, please plan to stick around for the first 10 minutes or so.
As usual we have a wide range of students from beginner players through to very advanced semi-pro players. Students will be divided into ensembles to work with on the first day. Placements may change as we get to know your abilities, needs, and personalities. Please be patient with us as we try to create a situation that will be best for you. Our full-time faculty members will rotate among the groups on a daily basis. We expect a high level of courtesy and respect among all participants in the Workshop.
Please bring everything you will need for making music:
- extra reeds, valve oil, patch cables, picks, strings, staff paper, pencils and erasers.
- Drummers, bass players, and guitarists are requested to bring their own amplifiers and drum kits where possible. This equipment can be left at the workshop for the duration. The Music School is locked and has an alarm.
- If you don’t have an amplifier or drum kit please contact us immediately so we can try to arrange to get one for you.
- We will have music stands available – no need to bring your own stand.
- Make sure all of your gear is labelled clearly with your name and address so that it doesn’t get lost.
- All students should bring a lunch, a snack or two, and a water bottle. There is very limited time for students to purchase a lunch from the mall as lunch time is also concert time with our guest artists and faculty and all students are required to attend these concerts. Food is important for an event of this kind. We strongly suggest that you bring something healthy that will provide you with the energy you will need for a very full day of music making. PLEASE NOTE – we have some students with severe nut allergies this year. In consideration of their health and well being, we ask that you please do not bring foods which contain nuts.
Typical Daily Schedule of Events:
9:30 – 10:15 Aural Skills classes
10:15 -10:30 Break and move to rehearsal rooms
10:30 – 11:30 Ensemble Rehearsals
11:30 – 12:00 Lunch and noon concert set-up time
12:00 – 1:15 Noon Concert (you can keep eating while you listen!)
1:15 – 2:15 Master Classes
2:15 – 2:30 Break
2:30 – 4:30 Ensemble rehearsal (with a short break somewhere in the middle)
Other IMPORTANT Events
- Wednesday, July 3rd Advanced Student Concert at Diefenbaker Park 6:30-9:00 pm Some of our advanced students will be performing at Diefenbaker Park in Tsawwassen. Bring some food and a lawn chair and enjoy a summer evening with great music. Attendance is not required but encouraged.
- Thursday, July 4th from 7-9 pm Jam Session at Petra’s By L’Aromas in Tsawwassen (Unit 1200 – 56 St.). This is open to workshop participants and to anyone in the community who plays jazz. This is a really fun part of the workshop and always a highlight for students and families. If you don’t know what a jam session is or how it works, DON’T WORRY the workshop will prepare you for it!
- Friday, July 5th Faculty Concert 7:30pm. All Saints Anglican Church. Tickets $10 Jazz workshop students receive free admission to this event and are expected to attend as part of the learning process. The evening concert is important and a required part of the program for workshop participants. We could use some help selling tickets to this concert.
- Saturday, July 6 Final Student Concert 12:00- 3:00pm at the School Grounds. Parents, spouses, family and friends are all welcome to this concert or any of the noon hour shows. Admission to noon shows and final student concert is FREE. Rehearsals on Saturday will run 9:30 – 11:30 am and then we will be setting up outside for our final performance In the small park area between the school building and the youth centre. Picnic supplies, blankets and lawn chairs would come in handy, please bring your own!
We’ll be taking photographs and possibly videos of workshop activities throughout the week. The photos and videos will help us promote the workshop in future years and help us get funding from sponsors and government organizations. If you do not want pictures of yourself or your child used in this way, please let us know before the start of the workshop. If you take some photos or videos yourself, we’d love to have digital copies for our website or facebook page.
Please contact Brad Muirhead if you have any questions by replying to this email address: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to working with all of you!
Brad Muirhead and Stephen Robb
Directors, South Delta Jazz Workshop