Greetings Jazz Workshop Participants,
This information is important. Please read all of it!!
I hope you are all looking forward to the South Delta Jazz Workshop as much as we are! We have a great week of music, learning, and fun planned for everyone.
Please note that the workshop will be held at South Delta Secondary School
-Take Highway 17 to Tsawwassen
-Turn left on
-follow 56th south a few blocks past the Tsawwassen Mall to 8A avenue
-turn right on 8A Ave
– follow 8A Ave to the 4-way stop at
– turn left on 53rd
-the band room is at the southeast corner of the school
1. The workshop begins Tuesday, July 8 at 9:30 am. We will meet in the band room . Please do not be late as we will have a lot to do on the first day! Parents, please plan to stick around for the first few minutes or so.
Daily Schedule of Events:
9:30 – 10:15 Aural Skills
10:15 -10:30 Break
10:30 – 12:00 Ensemble Rehearsals
12:00 – 12:30 Concert set-up / Lunch
12:30 – 1:30 Concerts (you can keep eating while you listen!)
1:30 – 2:30 Masterclasses and group workshops
2:45 – 4:30 pm Ensemble rehearsals
Please arrange to pick up your son or daughter at 4:30 each day. We will do our best to finish promptly at 4:30. Our final concert of the week will be Saturday, July 12 at noon. On that day, the schedule will be quite different. Please see item 6 in this regard. On the evening of Wednesday July 9, there will be a jazz jam session at
2. As usual we will have a wide range of students from beginner level high school players through to very advanced semi-pro players. Students will be assigned ensembles to work with on the first day. Placement may change as we get to know your abilities, needs, and personalities. Our eight full-time faculty members will rotate among the groups on a daily basis.
3. We expect a very high level of courtesy and respect among all participants in the Workshop. We have never had any behaviour problems in the past and we hope to keep it that way again this year. Criticism or poor treatment of other students or disrespectful behaviour towards instructors will not be tolerated. Students who have problems in this regard may be asked to leave the Workshop at our discretion. If a student experiences any kind of discrimination, negative or hurtful comments from others, or if other personal issues arise, he or she should make these problems known to a member of staff immediately.
4. All students should bring a lunch and some snacks every day. There will not be time to drive to the Tsawwassen Mall to get food. Lunchtime is also concert time with our faculty performing from 12:30-1:30pm. Food is important for an event of this kind. We strongly suggest that you bring something healthy that will provide you with the energy you will need for a very full day of music making. Please help us minimize our environmental impact (and our imposition on the school’s custodial staff) by bringing reusable containers for drinks etc. where possible.
5. Please bring everything you will need for making music: extra reeds, strings, patch cords, valve oil, staff paper, pencils and eraser, etc
Drummers, bass players, and guitarists are requested to bring their own amplifiers and drum kits. This equipment can be left at the workshop for the duration of the event and will need to be picked up after the final concert July 12. We cannot store or transport gear for you. If you don’t have an amplifier or drum kit please contact us immediately so we can help arrange to get one for you. We will have music stands available. Make sure all of your gear is labelled clearly so it doesn’t get lost.
6. Final Concert Information for July 12
Saturday’s schedule will be a little different as the student concert will take place from 12-3pm, on at the Delta Hospital Grounds in Ladner. Parents, spouses, friends and relations are all welcome and invited to attend. Bring a picnic lunch and enjoy listening to our students a s they showcase the week’s accomplishments. Admission is free. Rehearsals on Saturday will run from 9:30-10:45 and then we will be heading over to the Delta Show Stage on the hospital grounds for our final performance. We will need help transporting students between South Delta Secondary and
7. The Workshop functions as part of the South Delta Jazz Festival. Please note that there is an evening concert on July 11 at the Equinox Theatre (at the same location as the workshop). Workshop students receive free admission to this event and are expected to attend this concert. Tickets for this show are only $10 for non-workshop participants. Admission to noon hour concerts (12:30 -1:30 Tuesday through Friday) is by donation and admission to final student concert is free. There will be music at the Tsawwassen Town Centre Mall from 12-4 on July 5. Please see the website for more information about concerts. www.southdeltajazzfestival.com
8. Our scholarship money was very limited this year and we have done our best to distribute the available funds in a way that rewards students with high levels of achievement as well as helping those with financial need. Please don’t take it personally if you didn’t get a scholarship. If you have received scholarship funding to attend the camp you will be notified before July 4. You will be asked to write a letter thanking our various sponsors. We will provide the mailing address and other information for this letter and will be taking a group picture to send to them.
Please contact us by responding to this email if you have any further questions.
We look forward to working with all of you!
Jared Burrows and Stephen Robb
Directors, South Delta Jazz Workshop